Locked Door : Photo-Texuring Experiments

Wings3D + POV-Ray 3.6, 2005

To aleviate the stress of waiting for the POVCOMP results, I started a experiment to test how difficult or easy was to work with photographic textures to achieve realism. At the end, the picture evolved itself and quickly become a serious scene, so here it is.

For the textures I used some free pics from Mayang’s Free Textures, wich were proceduralized trough a custom macro done for the occasion, but that can be useful for general use, so I will publish it soon.

The conclusion of the experiment is clear and expected: it’s not so easy as it seems, and we often undervaluate the work needed to properly use photographic textures. Just mapping it’s easy, but looks ugly and repetitive…